Sunday, February 25, 2007

Leaving Cambodia -- Now It Can Be Told

We're about a week behind on the blog, so I'm skipping ahead to today. I'm writing this on a plane from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City. We're flying straight to Danang from there and staying the next couple of days in Hoi An, which is on the coast a little south of Danang.

We're hoping it will be a little cooler. It was brutally hot in Phnom Penh this morning -- I think the high today was supposed to be 99.

Okay. So here's the funny story about our arrival in Cambodia. We didn't get visas in advance because you can get then on arrival at the airport. But you need a passport photo, which I had brought with me but foolishly put in my checked luggage. I was sort of hoping that there would be one of those instant photo booths (as there is in the Bangkok airport), but there wasn't.

Anticipating a huge hassle, I asked Corina if I could borrow one of her extras. (A little back story here: aside from being similar heights, and both having dark brown hair -- with gray streaks -- and fair skin, we don't look anything alike. For example, Corina has blue eyes, while mine are brown. I'm also 7 years older. Nevertheless, people keep thinking we're sisters.)

And it worked! I gave my passport, application, $20, and Corina's picture to the exact same guy Corina had just given hers to. It was then passed down a row of 5 or 6 people who processed it. And then the same guy handed our passports back to us. It made for a couple of tense moments, but I think the moral of the story is that we all look the same to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having a lot of trouble concluding which my favorite story is: Lara getting by with Corina's photo (you look nothing alike--really, absolutely no resemblance) or what I can only imagine was Lara's immense dissatisfaction upon learning that even though she asked if she could take her bags with her, she couldn't.

I would not be able to do all of the early morning wake-ups, though. That doesn't sound very vacation-like at all.

Corina said...

When they turn off the generator at 8:30 pm, waking up at 5:30 am isn't really so hard. You'd be surprised.